Monday, December 15, 2008

Street (A Poem)

Yesterday while I was going through some old stuff that I've written I came across two poems that I wrote while I was a senior in college in 2004. Here's the first poem . . . 

STREET

The sunlight dries the damp streets in the Village
As the sound of the bus echoes
Surrounding the coldness of a winter's morning.

Gazing through the window of the seventh story
Walk up apartment, seeing the cars parked
Wondering every morning who drives them.

The smell of the coffee shop downstairs creeps
Through the open window, scoffing at me. I recall
All those childhood dreams I once possessed.

The wind slowly picks up, blowing the newspapers
Which surround the bodega on the corner.
The baby next door screeches louder than a marching band.

I ache to escape this life I'm leading, but somehow
Every time I've tried, I come back.
Am I addicted to the routine? Or am I just a masochist?

The sunlight dries the damp streets in the Village
As the sound of the bus echoes
Surrounding the coldness of a winter's morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice!

~A. ;)